On the lawn of the Old Capitol are two marble obelisks. The southern monument is dedicated to Capt. John Parkhill. [O1] Capt. Parkhill led a company of soldiers known as the Leon Volunteers. He was killed at Palm Hammock while leading troops during the Seminole War. The other is a Civil War marble obelisk. [O2] The monument's legend reads "To rescue from oblivion and perpetuate in the memory of succeeding generations the heroic patriotism of the men of Leon County who perished in the Civil War of 1861-1865, this monument is raised by their country women."