Tallahassee celebrates the winter holidays with concerts, plays, ice-skating, the annual Jingle Bell Run and thousands of lights illuminating the trees in local parks.
The annual Winter Festival – A Celebration of Lights, kicks off the holiday season Dec. 3 with a 3K Jingle Bell Run/Walk, a parade, live entertainment, arts, crafts, food and a ceremony that lights the downtown’s signature oak trees.
Shoppers seeking handmade gifts have several options:
- LeMoyne’s Holiday Show, Nov. 24 – Dec. 31, presents handcrafted ornaments and artwork by local artisans.
- Arts & Antiques Fair and Artist League Craft Expo, Dec. 2-3 has antiques, jewelry, stained glass, enameled metals, ceramics and works by members of the Artists League.
- Market Days, Dec. 3-4 at the North Florida Fairgrounds, is one of the Southeast’s largest arts and crafts shows with more than 300 juried artists selling blown glass, wood bowls, pottery, metal sculptures, woven baskets, holiday wreaths, textiles, jewelry, edible items and stocking stuffers galore.
- “Just One More – A Holiday Art Show” wraps up the Downtown Market season on Dec. 10-11 in the Downtown Chain of Parks.
For live performances, Theatre Tallahassee presents Irving Berlin’s “White Christmas” on three weekends Dec. 1-18, The Tallahassee Ballet performs “The Nutcracker” Dec. 10-11 in Ruby Diamond Concert Hall and Tallahassee Symphony Orchestra presents “Holiday Magic!” Dec. 17-18 also in Ruby Diamond Concert Hall.
Tallahassee’s place in Christmas history is notable because Spanish explorer Hernando DeSoto and crew celebrated the first Christmas mass in the New World here in the winter of 1539. Artifacts from the encampment site are housed in a museum at 1001 DeSoto Park Drive.
More holiday events:
- The ice-skating rink at the Centre of Tallahassee re-opens by Thanksgiving.
- Starting Thanksgiving night, Dorothy B. Oven Park brightens the holidays with 250,000 lights in the trees, displays and music. Drive through or stroll.
- Camellia Christmas at Alfred B. Maclay Gardens State Park, Dec. 2 features the splendor of winter-blooming camellias.
- Jennifer Nettles Christmas concert, Dec. 9, at The Pavilion, Centre of Tallahassee.
- Holiday Stroll through Cascades Park, Dec. 10. The trees will shimmer with light and the park will resound with music, bells and readings.
- Santa Shuffle Pub Crawl, Dec. 10-11, in the Tallahassee Brew District. Proceeds benefit local charities.
For more about Tallahassee holiday events, browse www.VisitTallahassee.com