The Museum of Florida History's new signature exhibit is Forever Changed: La Florida, 1513–1821, telling the story of Florida’s history from the arrival of Europeans, through the meeting and interaction with native cultures, to Florida’s adoption as a United States territory. Phase 1 of Forever Changed opened in 2012, the final phase in October 2015.
Prominent features include a fort modeled after St. Augustine’s Castillo de San Marcos, a Spanish colonial-style house and church, and a frontier trading scene. The exhibit also addresses the impact of European actions on native peoples and the resulting physical and cultural changes. Among the many artifacts on display is a finely carved powder horn from the British period that illustrates the architecture of St. Augustine on one side and a meeting between Native Americans and Europeans on the reverse.
Recreated settings, rare artifacts, along with many interactive and hands-on activities, engage visitors of all ages for a better understanding of Florida’s colonial history.